Buried your irons. Traded 'em for a normal life. Tonight, though, that's all gonna change. Destiny's callin'—and it ain't takin' no for an answer.
|- The Narrator|
Bounty Hunter Journey is a main quest of Jane Bell.
Pick a shovel in the barn then go to the tree near the shooting range to dig up the bounty hunter gear.
- Take Huck's stuffed bear from his body, and if Jane does so, a short tune is played. This has no gameplay or story implication.
- Bury Huck and Ava.
- Practice shooting at the shooting range.
- Open the storage shed to get a bandage and some food.
Grackle has just also been attacked by the Stillwaters, many people were killed or abducted, and many buildings are abandoned. This is an opportunity for Jane to loot many places in the town without any consequence. She can also find keys in these buildings that allow her to access them later should she chooses to steal from the town. Also, grab a Nimp Relic on top of the saloon.
There are three ways to find out where the Stillwaters went:
- Go to the sheriff office, and talk to Flora Albright to start interrogating Cason Stillwater. Jane can ask him nicely or torture him, the choices don't matter as he will reveal the location of the Stillwater Campsite in any case.
- Kill Cason Stillwater, with a loss of 10 Reputation, then loot a note from his body. This note gives Jane the general direction of where the gang went and Jane can follow it to discover the Stillwater's camp on the world map.
- If Jane kills Cason even before starting the interrogation by shooting him through the window, Flora will have a unique dialogue, saying Jane is out of practice with the "whole interrogation thing".
- Attack Flora and reduce her health until she's forced to reveal her true self. Cason will be terrified and tell Jane the location of the camp.
- Talk to the blacksmith's wife standing next to the town entrance near the sheriff office to start The Abducted Blacksmith quest.
- Break down the boarded-up door of the school to free the two children stuck inside. The children survive regardless of whether Jane saves them or not, but they thank Jane if she does.
- Use a bandage to revive an injured townsperson in front of the clinic.
- Go to the cemetery and Jane might be able to find one or both of her parents alive, or both dead and buried there. Their graves have a chance to contain an amulet.
Stillwater Campsite & Tracking Site
This location serves as a tutorial for several gameplay mechanics. The map is linear and consists of multiple segments, each is guarded by a few Stillwaters. Clear out all the Stillwaters in the area or sneak past them if possible. Make sure to pick up the Nimp Relic on top of a broken wagon near the oil spill since it's not possible to go back to this location later on. At the end of the map, investigate the footprints to reveal the next location and progress the quest.
The objective of this part is to find where Alonso was taken, and there are many different approaches to achieve this:
- Jane can infiltrate Galen's Crossing and find the information she needs:
- The safe in the bedroom on the second floor (accessible through the balcony) contains a relay leading to the next destination. The safe requires 5 lockpicks to open or the safe combination which can be found on Weeks.
- In the large building where tobacco leaves are dried, there is a hatch leading to a secret basement. Here Weeks imprisons Marion Keen and sexually abuses him. Free Keen (requires 1 lockpick) and he will tell Jane where to go next. He will also become a Friend for Life.
- If Jane has the deciphered relay, show it to one of the guards at the entrance of Galen's Crossing, and he will take Jane to meet with Mayor Weeks. Here, Jane as a few options:
- Threaten to take the information by force, in which case she will be attacked by Weeks' guards which are numerous and powerful at this point. If Jane survives, she can loot the key to the safe on the second floor from Weeks.
- Complete a task for Weeks in exchange for information, which involves acquiring the deed of Brush Creek Farm from the Saitos. Going this route, however, will make Monte Clasp leaves Jane's posse if he was recruited.
Brush Creek Farm
If Jane chooses to help Weeks, she has to travel to Brush Creek Farm, which belongs to the Saitos. The deed is inside a safe on the second floor of the farmhouse, behind a locked door. Jane can go through the window to avoid the locked door but she still needs to crack the safe or find the combination in the basement. If Jane talks to Hideki and reveals Weeks' intention, Hideki actually points Jane to the secret basement where Weeks keeps Marion Keen.
Essex Mast is the person Jane needs to find next and he's imprisoned on the second floor of the bank. Jane has a few options to get inside the bank:
- Go gun-blazing.
- Infiltrate the bank from its rooftop.
- Get an audience with the Stillwater boss by taking part in a gun duel with the current champion. Talks to the merchant at the town's entrance, bribes him and he will reveal that to get a duel with the champion, Jane needs to insult her toes. Duel and kill the champion to get inside the bank.
- Talk to the innkeeper and they will ask Jane to meet at the cemetery. There, he gives Jane a drugged bottle of wine, and Jane can give this to the guard at the bank entrance to knock him out.
Once Jane meets Essex, she can either:
- Free him and he will tell her where to go next.
- Kill him and loot Essex Mast's Journal, which achieves the same thing.
- Persuade him to reveal the information, then either free or leave him locked up.
- There is a Copper Gowser Service Rifle on top of the spirit hall. Stack up barrels or hide bundles to reach it.
Big Gulch Mine
Clear the area and go down into the mine. There are few captives here, but they can be freed later with a key, instead of having to waste lockpicks. Follow the tunnels until Jane reaches the Cave Terror enclosure. Cave Terrors are blind so it's possible to just sneak past it. In the next area, there is a locked door leading to a part of the tunnels infested by Mine Crawlers. There are a few loots here, but be ready for a tough fight. The other path leads to another captive, and two Siren jailors. Dispatch them then continue until Jane finds a large wooden box. Interact with it to free Snack. Here, Jane has the following options:
- Agree to bring Snack to Flora.
- Kill Snack and bring his brain to Flora. There is no consequence in doing this. This has the same outcome as the first choice.
- Refuse Snack's request and just leave him be.
Grackle & Albright's Stead
Copper Mountain Quarry
To open the stone door leading to where Shelby Cross is, Jane must find three levers hidden throughout the area.
- The first lever is in the large flooded area with a broken mine cart track. It's on a small ledge that can be reached by stacking boxes and barrels. Or Jane can just shoot the lever to switch it.
- The second lever is in the small, northern-most room of the map, where there are a few cages.
- The third is found in the same place Alonso Bell is imprisoned. It's hidden behind a red curtain on a small ledge. The easiest way to switch the lever is to aim through the curtain until the reticle is locked on something and shoot.
Before ending the journey, make sure to take back any item from Flora and Monte. Flora cannot be recruited again while it might take some time for the next protagonist to reach Grackle to recruit Monte.
The following outcomes are the direct consequences of Jane's actions during her journey. This section contains spoilers for subsequent journeys.
Bounty Hunter Journey
- Alonso Bell:
- If Alonso survives Copper Mountain Quarry, he comes back to Bell Stead, mourning his son.
- If Jane kills Alonso, he's buried at Bell Stead next to Huck. The Mysterious Girl visits the farm, saying that she's surprised "the Passenger" would do such a thing.
- If Alonso dies but not by Jane's hand, the Mysterious Girl also shows up but she doesn't say anything.
- If Jane attacks Flora and forces her to turn into a siren, she and her family have to disappear from Grackle and Albright's Stead. Flora also sends a relay to Jane, explaining why she ran away.
- Flora Albright:
- Shelby Cross:
- If Shelby Cross is left alive, he will also become a bounty. Stillwaters Random Encounters continue to happen and the news will mention that. Cross will also briefly appears in Canker as he will start supplying Ruth Bough with captives.
- If Shelby Cross is killed, Stillwaters almost cease to exist, with only a handful left in Greenwood Run. The Western Gazette will report that the roads are now safe from Stillwater ambushes.
- Essex Mast continues to appear in this journey if Jane freed him from imprisonment in Quickbend.
- The town fully recovers and all services are available if Jane defeated the Stilwaters there.
- Galen Weeks:
- If Jane killed Galen Weeks, his son will take over as the leader of Galen's Crossing.
- If Weeks is left alive, he's still in Galen's Crossing, but is now a Ravenous.
- At the bottom of the pit where Alonso Bell is held, there is a dead "Royal Protector" named Corvo. This is a reference to Corvo Attano, one of the protagonists of the Dishonored franchise. Raphael Colantonio was a co-creative director of the first Dishonored game.
- The body has a machete and a revolver, which refer to two of Corvo's main weapons, a sword and a pistol.
- There are also an unusual number of hostile rats nearby. One of Corvo's abilities allows him to summon swarms of rats to devour his enemies.
- When rescuing Alonso, depending on whether Jane has her wedding band or not, he will respond differently:
- If Jane doesn't have the band: "You pawn your wedding band for that gun? Pragmatic, I guess, given the situation."
- If Jane has the band: "A wedding band and a gun--thought we'd never have to see the day you were a married woman and a Bounty Hunter both."
- Additionally, if Jane rescues Alonso while in Werewolf form, Alonso will say: "Oh, oh goodness, sweetheart? That you under all that fur? Thank goodness you came. But when I said wanted something a little bit more... frisky in the bedroom, I didn't mean... Nevermind."